Monday, April 13, 2015

Bookish Rants and Rambles: When a Series Ends...Then Another Book Comes Out.

Bookish Rants and Rambles is basically where I either rant or ramble about something dealing with books.

This is a HUGE pet peeve of mine! Something that I see happening more and more is a series that I thought was over with, have another book come out. I was thinking about this just the other day when I saw this on Goodreads:

So, I don't hate Maximum Ride. It's an okay series. But this series ended 3 YEARS AGO. Everything was tied up. It's done.
I have completely moved on to other series. Whenever a series comes back after obviously ending, I feel like a lover I broke up with wants to get back together with me, when we broke up YEARS AGO! IT'S OVER!

Now, why do I hate series being revived so much? 
1. The author ended the 'last' book in a satisfactory way.
The bad guy probably died. The main character is happily kissing love interest. All your questions are answered. There may even have been an epilogue, which to me, means the series is over. I feel satisfied with the way things ended. I may be sad that it's over, but I'm happy that I read such a (usually) great series and that the characters now get to live in peace. 
Which brings me to my next point...
2. Another book means another conflict
I remember at a book event

Now, a major issue in the book-sphere is that most people think that when an author creates another book after the series is over, they're milking the cash cow, so to speak. Meaning, they know their series makes money, so they're going to write more. I just want to mention that I disagree. Authors often write these books because they either love the world they wrote and don't want to leave their characters and/or their fans beg for more (much like the case with Elizabeth Eulberg). 

I would also like to mention that I'm completely fine with spin-off and companion books. I like seeing little glimpses of the world or characters from the other series, as long as there are new characters and a new storyline.

What are your thoughts? Ever come across a series that just didn't want to finish?


1 comment :

  1. Yeah, especially James Patterson is someone that I wouldn't ever buy anything from. He reportedly has a bunch of ghost writers and hasn't written a single book on his own in years... I guess it's pretty obvious that this one is just another thing added to the 3427893279 things he does only for the money.

    In general, if the series allows it (with direct spin-offs for example) or if the ending was terrible, there's nothing wrong with another book. But if the author's obviously beating the dead horse, it's a guarantee that I won't ever touch anything with their name on it again.

    ReplyDelete