Saturday, May 10, 2014

Short & Simple Reviews: The Sweetest Dark & Ruby Red

This is a place for books that I didn't fully review.
Maybe I listed my likes and dislikes, had a little short paragraph, or a few sentences to convey my feelings on the book, but whatever the "review" is, all of them are short and simple. (hence the clever name)

The Sweetest Dark (The Sweetest Dark, #1)
The Sweetest Dark is filled with thrilling romance, exciting adventure, and ancient magic. Shana Abé brilliantly captures the drama of post-Victorian England, while unfolding a passionate love story that defies time.

“With every fiber of my being, I yearned to be normal. To glide through my days at Iverson without incident. But I’d have to face the fact that my life was about to unfold in a very, very different way than I’d ever envisioned. Normal would become forever out of reach.”

Lora Jones has always known that she’s different. On the outside, she appears to be an ordinary sixteen-year-old girl. Yet Lora’s been keeping a heartful of secrets: She hears songs that no one else can hear, dreams vividly of smoke and flight, and lives with a mysterious voice inside her that insists she’s far more than what she seems.

England, 1915. Raised in an orphanage in a rough corner of London, Lora quickly learns to hide her unique abilities and avoid attention. Then, much to her surprise, she is selected as the new charity student at Iverson, an elite boarding school on England’s southern coast. Iverson’s eerie, gothic castle is like nothing Lora has ever seen. And the two boys she meets there will open her eyes and forever change her destiny.

Jesse is the school’s groundskeeper—a beautiful boy who recognizes Lora for who and what she truly is. Armand is a darkly handsome and arrogant aristocrat who harbors a few closely guarded secrets of his own. Both hold the answers to her past. One is the key to her future. And both will aim to win her heart. As danger descends upon Iverson, Lora must harness the powers she’s only just begun to understand, or else lose everything she dearly loves.


Filled with lush atmosphere, thrilling romance, and ancient magic, The Sweetest Dark brilliantly captures a rich historical era while unfolding an enchanting love story that defies time.
GoodreadsAmazonBarnes & Noble

Review 
When I was halfway through this book, someone asked me "What is this book about?" And I couldn't answer. Not enough happened in this book for me to say what it was about. You get bits and pieces that you can't match up since the story can get pretty confusing and random, and I kind of wish I could know more about the idea of the story.  (Highlight to view spoiler)The Drakons


Many of other things in the story fell flat. Like the romance and the characters. The romance felt like background music; it's there but you don't really pay attention to it. And the characters... I had no feelings toward them. No anger, sadness, or love. They were like stick figures.
(Highlight to view spoiler)In fact, a major character died in the book and I had no reaction at all. 


I honestly don't want to hate on this book or lead you to not pick it up.

I thought the idea was interesting and imagination, it fell flat and it was confusing, but I DID NOT HATE THIS BOOK. Neither did I love it. This book is okay to me. YOU MIGHT LIKE IT, many others have, so if you wish to,give it a try.

I hereby give this book
2 Wheels
Meaning: It was okay.


Ruby Red (Precious Stone Trilogy, #1)
Gwyneth Shepherd's sophisticated, beautiful cousin Charlotte has been prepared her entire life for traveling through time. But unexpectedly, it is Gwyneth, who in the middle of class takes a sudden spin to a different era!


Gwyneth must now unearth the mystery of why her mother would lie about her birth date to ward off suspicion about her ability, brush up on her history, and work with Gideon--the time traveler from a similarly gifted family that passes the gene through its male line, and whose presence becomes, in time, less insufferable and more essential. Together, Gwyneth and Gideon journey through time to discover who, in the 18th century and in contemporary London, they can trust.




Review 
Things I Liked:
- I LOVED the idea behind this book! I have a tiny obsession with time travel and found the idea of a time travel gene so interesting!
- The little travels through time. While there wasn't very many of these, I did enjoy them.

Things I Didn't Like:
- There wasn't a real plot or climax. The majority of the book focuses on Gwen finding out that she has the time travel gene but that's it, we don't really have anything else going on.
- The romance. I did not understand the romance at all. We hear in Gwen's mind that Gideon is obnoxious and other variations of that word, but somehow, they end up kissing, and somehow, they love each other? I just don't understand how that happened.

It might seem that there's more bad then good up there, but I did enjoy this book! The romance I can ignore, that's not a problem. And I can always focus on the time travel rather than the lack of plot.
There were a few things I wish there was more of (Like what Gwen's abilities extend to) but I have the feeling that those will be in book 2...

I hereby give this book
4 Wheels!
Meaning: I really liked it!

No comments :

Post a Comment